Clothing and Props for Children's portrait sessions

"What should I bring to my session?"

Please bring your children! Seriously, what else do we need? I know what you are really asking. What about clothing, props and things to make them smile. I have lots of things for making them smile and a lot of props but here are ideas for clothing and other things that you might consider bringing to the session
Clothing
I have a small but growing collection of clothing just for children's portrait sessions: hats, vintage clothing are the focus at this point but I am adding more all the time. Avoid logos and bold graphic designs. Solid colors are best and if this is a sibling or family portrait, color coordination is essential.


0-12 months
I have always loved naked babies so for the under one year crowd, I always believe the less clothes, the better! I love seeing their toes, rolls and that skin as soft as velvet. It is nice to have an attractive diaper cover available and it becomes essential once they start walking. I keep a few on hand, so don't stress!

I love vintage clothing so that cute outfit that your mom or grandma packed away from your babyhood is a great idea. If you have an outfit that you love and want to be sure to use, let me know.

Toddlers
Keep it simple. Running around with just a cute diaper cover still works for this age but they are transitioning into older children so consider ideas from my suggestions for preschoolers.
 
Preschoolers
Boys: jeans and no shirt, plain polo shirt and khakis, dress up like a cowboy, fireman, etc.A sailor suit is a very formal look from days gone by or think about other vintage clothing.
Girls: Dresses are always a great look. They can be frilly and formal, vintage, or a simple white sundress. Consider a twirly skirt or dress up clothes.

Older Kids
As the kids get older, so do the styles. Take your cues from the fashion industry but try to stick with solid colors, particularly with group portraits. We will want to match the clothing to the background or theme for the portrait so let's talk!

Props
We have lots of props that are great for children's portraits but if you want your portraits to be like no one else's. Let me know ahead of time about what you are bringing. Here are some ideas:
  • Vintage items or things that have special meaning. Family heirlooms like an old wagon are great!
  • Like Mommy or Daddy items that will tell a story: firefighting props if Daddy is a firefighter, makeup if Mommy sells makeup, stethoscope and lab jacket if one of the parents is in the medical field.
  • Theme portraits like a pirate with a chest of gold, eye patch and sword can be fun. Or try carrying out the theme of a nursery rhyme or fairy tale.
 Let's work together to make some fabulous portraits!

Comments

kids clothing said…
Well said, I love it. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
Nice article...I like it!