These old fashioned Molasses cookies are a Haugen family favorite (except for our oldest who doesn’t know why you would waste time on anything that doesn’t have chocolate in it). The recipe came from my mother. The cool thing is that it is easy enough for young children to do with a little help so it was always part of our Christmas baking tradition and was great for gifts.
2/3 c. vegetable oil 2 c. flour
1 c. sugar 2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg ½ tsp. salt
¼ c. molasses 1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix oil and sugar thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add egg and beat well.
4. Stir in molasses.
5. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add a little at a time to liquids and mix thoroughly.
6. Put ¼ cup sugar in a small bowl.
7. Spoon out walnut-sized balls of dough and roll in the sugar to coat.
8. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.