Photography of My Own Children (not easy!)




I got everything set up. The kidlets were in the cute outfits I had picked out for them. I had the lighting and background just right. I had checked and rechecked the settings on the camera. Ready, set, ACTION

Ok, so action was not really what I wanted. I just wanted beautiful, story telling images of my children in this great studio setting I had created. And that required my children to be on the set, not dismantling my camera. I discovered how difficult it can be to photograph your own children. Other people’s children LISTEN to me and they don’t cling to me...they may cling to their mom but I am not trying to pry their fingers off of my skirt. 

With a few bribes and threats, I managed to get the kids to do what I wanted and Neil just told me the image below from this session is his favorite that I have ever taken. He swears it isn't prejudice!

Do you want to know how to get better photographs of your own children? I will be sharing a few tips in my next post.

Comments

rNeil said…
'Tis true ... this image simply shows SO much about the relationship of the two children of that time. Anna's first sentence was "I go read." I think her second or third was "When am I EVER gonna be a Big Sister?". Nels was half of her world those first few years ... and he adored his doting big sis who read to him, told him stories, cuddled him, and "instructed" him in how to be the perfect little brother.

The closeness between them, the wonder of that relationship ... is so very visible here.