More than Just Pictures


Twelve years ago, I went into the hospital for some surgery. Neil was there as they were prepping me and bouncing Lars who was six months old at the time and nursing full time. I never did get him used to a bottle so he had to stay pretty close to mama. You probably think I am crazy but Neil and I both agreed that it would be easier for all of us if he and Lars stayed in the hospital with me rather than saying home and trying to get Lars to take a bottle.

I was nervous about the anesthesia and I remember the nurse trying to reassure me that it wouldn’t be much different than when I had my baby. I had to tell her that I had had three babies and had never had any anesthesia of any kind so, no, it was going to be different!

In walked Dr. G, my anesthesiologist and he was very gentle and reassuring. As we chatted, Neil and I mentioned that we had a photography studio. Dr. G said that he had two little boys and would need some portraits. (I tried not to be embarrassed, but there I was in a hospital gown with no makeup and wild woman hair and this guy is talking about portraits? My professional image was in trouble!) Neil dug out a business card.

Two months later, I was photographing Dr. G’s youngest and that was the start of a long and wonderful relationship. I have been photographing each boy at birthday time every year for twelve years now. I love these guys but it hasn’t always been easy.


The first time I photographed Janson was for his third birthday. His mom brought in a beautiful, handmade rocking horse. Janson was wild and crazy and not really interested in being anywhere near the horse. Out came the bubbles and somehow I managed to get him to be near the horse for a few shots.

Here we are out on the frozen pond!
Now the props are more likely to be books or Nintendos as Janson and his brother are becoming teens. They still have their own ideas. Sometimes I still need to rein in and channel their “creativity” but they are usually game for whatever I come up with. Last year, our pond was frozen over so I said, “Let’s go walk on the pond, it will be fun!” When little brother, Jaren came in in June, I felt inspired to capture one of the last gasps of childhood innocence and brought a kite to the session.


I love being a part of these boys’ lives. They are certainly a part of mine!

Comments

rNeil said…
Wow ... it was that long ago, wasn't it? It's been a wonderful time relating to those boys and their parents, and watching them grow up. Such a joy of "belonging" to so many families!