Wedding at St. Patrick's and Green Villa Barn Independence Oregon



It was a sunny day in September when I first heard Monica's voice on the other end of the phone. "I was just on your website and liked what I saw. Are you available on January 7 to photograph my wedding?" Neil and I were open so we set a time to meet in person.

As we talked, it was clear that the ceremony meant a lot to Monica and Matt. It was to be a full Catholic Mass with all that entails: singing, praying, sermon, full communion, sitting, standing, kneeling.... after an hour and 20 minutes or so, you really feel married! The ceremony was to be performed by the priest that they had gotten to know as part of Campus Ministries at OSU.


Its More Than a Party
This got me thinking about how the typical wedding of the modern era places so much emphasis on the party. The vows the couple is making is a small blip in a day full of hairdressers, photography, cake cutting and first dances. But the vows are the reason for all the rest of the hoopla and what the couple's life together, their lifelong commitment is based upon.

Of course I think that professional photography is really, really important. But when it comes to the ceremony, we do all that we can to capture meaningful photographs without being seen. There is no flash during the ceremony and we will not position ourselves where we might be a distraction. It is my hope and belief that when Monica and Matt look at their wedding photographs in the years to come and show them to their children, they will be reminded of the vows that they made to each other. Neil and I were reminded of our vows that day, as we are at every wedding that we photograph.


Call me old fashioned, but I am a sucker for a traditional church wedding. Thank you, Matt and Monica, for inviting us to be a part of your wedding day. May the years that you spend together be filled with joy.

Comments

msowife said…
Thanks to all for sharing this beautiful beginning to a united life! What a documentation of committment and Godly love.
Miriam Haugen said…
Life is full of ups and downs. Remembering that commitment you made is what will carry you through the downs.
Monica said…
I love these photos, Miriam and Neil! Matt and I feel like you really captured the day, plus you made it a fun and painless process. Thanks again!

Monica Burrill
thuc said…
These photos are amazing! You guys are great! Thanks for capturing the loving union of my best friend and her amazing husband!
Anonymous said…
Really liked the slideshow, what a fun way to share the pics. Moni I really like the one of you peeking over the bouquet, your green eyes look beautiful! And Matt, you look handsome too. :)