Family Portraits in Bend and Sunriver, Oregon


We have a family reunion every Labor Day weekend. My parents, siblings, and as many nieces, nephews and grand kids as we can manage converge on Sunriver to enjoy the warm sunshine and hiking in the beautiful Oregon Cascades.

When my father turned 40 he started climbing mountains and he has scaled every significant peak in the northwest. There were many family backpacking trips during the summer as I was growing up and a love of the outdoors was instilled in each of us. Most of these trips were to the Cascades and it just might be the nostalgia that keeps pulling me back to the high mountains, clear lakes, Douglas fir and Ponderosa Pine.

My father is 93 now and doesn't climb mountains anymore but he is still an avid hiker. The trails my sister chooses for him are shorter and gentler than he would have chosen 15 years ago. 15 years ago, my sister and I couldn't keep up with him. Now we get to spend time visiting with him as we stroll at a more leisurely pace. This year we hiked to Doris Lake which is a five mile round trip. Pretty impressive for 93, don't you think?

This year we did this portrait of my brother and his family with the Deschutes River and South Sister in the background because it is a place with many happy memories of family times. We look forward to sharing our love of Central Oregon by doing a portrait event at Sunriver on October 1. If you would like to do this now or at some future time, drop me a line.

Comments