Growing Up Haugen's

By Eleanor Wershow, Director of Operations

When I was seventeen and a senior in high school, I knew exactly which studio was going to do my senior portraits. It was the same studio who did my siblings’ senior portraits and my uncle’s wedding. Oh! And my siblings in 1979, me and my siblings in 1980, me in 1982, and the list goes on and on and on.

The photographers who took all these photos? Why, Haugen’s of course! I was lucky enough to grow up with an aunt and uncle who are amazing photographers. When my sister got married, and then my brother, there were no questions about who was going to do their wedding photography, even though my sister was married at the Grand Canyon and my brother in St. Paul, MN.

My mom retained Neil and Miriam for both weddings. This included travel & lodging, of course, as it does for all destination wedding photographers. This seemed completely normal to me, to commission the best photographers to commemorate the most important events in our lives.

Then I started working for Neil and Miriam. To my surprise, I discovered there are people who have no idea who to go to for wonderful portraits. They have never experienced fine photography and the joy that comes with having quality art of the most important people in their lives.

Now that I think about it, I was extremely lucky to have Haugen’s in the family. You see, my mom is a pragmatic person, and she is not the sort of person who would have normally thought of commissioning personal photographic art. Yet her most prized possessions are the seven wall portraits Miriam and Neil have taken of my family over the last 28 years.

Comments