Family Portraits in the Studio


"We want a portrait that expresses who we really are." This came from Christy, a pretty and vibrant mother of three that I met with recently to talk about their upcoming family portrait session. She told me that they are passionate about athletics (basketball in particular) and try to instill in their children to always be improving, always doing their best. Like good coaches, Mom and Dad lead by example. They stay clear about what is most important in their lives and work hard to be the best they can be.

My challenge is to capture something more than just another attractive family portrait. Something that captures the essence of who they are without being artificial. Another factor is that it is December so we need to be thinking about studio options. I have an idea of them on a hillside with lots of sky but that will need to be another day.... another month.

I promised Christy that I would show her some ideas and I thought that the best way would be in a blog post so that I can share the planning process with other that are thinking about their next family portrait. The portrait at the top was a studio composite that I did for a family of very individualistic sports enthusiasts. Fun and definitely unique.



This portrait doesn't include mom but I like the simplicity and the way the boys are all little copies of Dad.


I like the white sweep because it is a blank canvas that you can do anything with. You will never guess which team this family roots for!


I included this one for the background. It works well for small groups (3 adults or 2 adults and 2-3 little ones posed close together.)


Here is our Tuscan Wall background.




Two more ideas with a family of five.


I never heard the joke but I was ready to record the aftermath!


I love the closeness of this group.


Closeness and relationship...


Finally, let's end with an outdoor portrait and dream of warmer days to come!

Hope this give you some ideas of the possiblities!

Comments